Fat is made by cells trying to protect themselves from dying as a result of excess free radical production, caused by excess carbohydrate catabolism. Epidemiological studies show that cannabis consumers have a smaller girth than non-users. Similarly, cannabis users have lower levels of diabetes. I cannot understand why the scientific establishment prefers interpreting tissue culture and animal studies, but ignore the real world data from we the people. This failure is compounded by the science that I present since it makes sense with observations as opposed to contradicting them.
CB1 allows for extended carbohydrate metabolism by regulating calcium channels. Depending on experimental conditions, pushing CB1 activity can be pro inflammatory. In contrast, CB2 activity promotes safer cellular recycling, of free radical damaged cellular components (autophagy), that occurs when fats are burned for fuel (beta oxidation) The balance between these energy sources determines the level of health by modulating inflammation and its resulting illnesses.
- Dr. Robert Melamede Ph.D.
- Role of the endocannabinoid system in diabetes and diabetic complications. (PubMed)
- The impact of marijuana use on glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance among US adults (American Journal of Medicine)
- Cannabidiol attenuates cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, fibrosis, and inflammatory and cell death signaling pathways in diabetic cardiomyopathy (PubMed)
- Cannabidiol lowers incidence of diabetes in non-obese diabetic mice (PubMed)
- Neuroprotective and blood-retinal barrier-preserving effects of cannabidiol in experimental diabetes (PubMed)
- Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice (PubMed)
- Diabetic retinopathy: Role of inflammation and potential therapies for anti-inflammation (PubMed)
- Cannabinoids alter endothelial function in the Zucker rat model of type 2 diabetes (PubMed)
- The endocannabinoid system in obesity and type 2 diabetes (PubMed)
- Cannabinoids and endocannabinoids in metabolic disorders with focus on diabetes (PubMed)
- The endocannabinoid system and plant-derived cannabinoids in diabetes and diabetic complications (PubMed)
- Cannabinoid-mediated modulation of neuropathic pain and microglial accumulation in a model of murine type I diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain (PubMed)
- Biochemical and immunohistochemical changes in delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-treated type 2 diabetic rats (PubMed)